Sunday 17 November 2013

The Brides of Rollrock Island – Margo Lanagan


Reviewed by Pauline Chandler
  In this breathtaking story of the selkies, the seal women conjured from the sea, Margo Lanagan creates places and characters that stay in the mind long after you’ve finished reading. Rollrock and Cordlin represent two different ways of life: the one an island where men struggle to make a living from the capricious sea, fighting harsh weather and poor soil to keep body and soul together, the other a mainland town with all the so-called advantages of modern life and progress, painted by Lanagan in period colours, with an Edwardian feel.
.
 As different characters step forward to tell the story, we are taken on a amazing, heart-wrenching journey, when the witch of Rollrock, shunned and despised by the others from birth, wreaks a cruel revenge.

On Rollrock Island, lonely, bullied Miskaella discovers her power to draw the seals from the sea. In a tender love scene, beautifully written, she couples with a sealman and becomes his wife. Her powers grow until she can bring forth lovely young girls from the seals, girls whom the men of Rollrock will pay a lifetime’s wages to take as wives.

The story flows forward, over several seemingly peaceful years, where the life of the men on Rollrock, spellbound by the witch, live in families with their seal wives and half-seal children, a way of life that is also  accepted, from afar, by those on the mainland. But nobody from Cordlin visits Rollrock. Children are forbidden to speak of it. Change comes from Rollrock itself, when one of the island boys starts to ask questions and the truth emerges, with terrifying   consequences. .  

This is an outstanding novel, told in language that sparkles with fresh images on every page.  Extraordinary and highly recommended.

For competent readers aged 12+

Pauline Chandler

www.paulinechandler.com


Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

3 comments:

Pippa Goodhart said...

It sounds wonderful! Thank you.

Pauline Chandler said...

I'm sure you'll enjoy it, Pippa. It's one of those books that's just different. I'm going to look out her first book, 'Tender Morsels.' That looks good, too.

Cassie Bailey said...

Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

universalspellhelp@gmail.com

WhatsApp him +2347054380994

Post a Comment