Friday 22 February 2013

Mr Birdsnest and the House Next Door, by Julia Donaldson. Reviewed by Saviour Pirotta

Children's laureate Julia Donaldson needs no introduction. Her picture books sell by the truckload. Her mega-successful Gruffalo spawned a mini industry of soft-toys, plays and even a television film.  Mr Birdsnest and the House Next Door is aimed at 5 to 8 year olds with a reading ability of 6+.

Published by Barrington Stoke in their Little Gems series, this is a  reworking of a 2005 titled called The Jungle House. It's a witty and gently anarchic story told from a child's point of view. The unnamed narrator's family are forced to move when Granny starts getting too confused to live on her own.  The narrator and her brother, Elmo, are keen on taking up residence in a decrepit property they nickname The Jungle House.  Their parents plump for the boring house next door. But then the kids find a key to the back door of the Jungle House and set about turning into their own adventure playground.

Things get complicated when a man with an enormous grey beard moves into the house and the children are accused of trespassing.  Then Granny goes missing and the kids are sure Mr Birdsnest is holding her prisoner...

 Donaldson's text is reassuringly simple and a delight to read.  The story, divided neatly into four short chapters,  moves at a rollicking pace.  The book is a joy to hold, its flaps yielding jokes and instructions on how to draw a bird when lifted. Hannah Shaw's cartoony pictures compliment the words perfectly. The family are mixed race, which will be welcome in many schools and homes around the country. And the eccentric Mr Birdsnest seems to be modelled on that other master of mild mayhem, the real-life author Philip Ardagh. Have a look at the picture below and see what you think.


Details:
Title: Mr Birdsnest and the House Next Door
Author: Julia Donaldson
Illustrator: Hannah Shaw 
Publisher: Barrington Stoke
First Published: 2012

Saviour Pirotta


My blog

My website
My Facebook author page
Follow me on twitter @spirotta



Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

1 comment:

Cassie Bailey said...

Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

universalspellhelp@gmail.com

WhatsApp him +2347054380994

Post a Comment