Wednesday 10 October 2012

The Devil's Staircase by Helen Fitzgerald: reviewed by Gillian Philip



Please note: this review is of an adult novel (officially speaking, but see below).

I came on this book, and this author, not by accident so much as by duty. Scheduled for a panel discussion at the first ever Bloody Scotland crime writing festival - this September in Stirling - I had that sudden, ghastly realisation: that while I already knew and liked @FitzHelen from Twitter, I had somehow failed to read any of her novels. I already knew and loved the work of my other fellow panellist, Cathy MacPhail, but Helen's books, if not Helen herself, were new to me.

Our event was titled Once Upon A Crime and was aimed at discussing Young Adult crime fiction in a festival mostly devoted to the adult variety. Helen's own YA novels, Amelia O'Donohue Is So Not A Virgin and the forthcoming Deviant, are so far only available in the States, so to get to know her writing I chose one of her adult books: The Devil's Staircase.

I wish every duty felt so little like a... duty. Character and voice being my absolute favourite thing/two things in a book, I was delighted (and not a little envious) to be grabbed by the throat on para one page one.

The person doing the grabbing was Bronny, a naive young Australian who runs away to London and the freedom of life in a squat. She has her reasons, and they're not your average needing-to-find-oneself, coming-of-age motives. Indeed, the last thing Bronny wants to find is her self, and the truth of it. Try not being seized and shaken by a girl whose first words to you are these:

"It was fifty-fifty. Mum had it, and died in a pool of her own mad froth."

Oh, Bronny has her demons to escape - in the form of that fifty-fifty chance of a hideous life-threatening disease - and you want her to elude them every bit as much as she does herself. But of course this is a crime novel, with mystery and murder at its heart, and those do not take a back seat. One of the things I liked best about The Devil's Staircase was that although it never lost sight of Bronny's mental torment, it did not gnaw endlessly at it. Bronny is justifiably distracted by her fears, and they contribute to the heartstring-snapping tension of the central plot, but there's something even more sinister under the floorboards - and in the best traditions of the gutsy heroine, Bronny is the one who's going to have to discover it.

We talked a lot at Bloody Scotland about how YA crime fiction differs from the adult version. A young protagonist, the three of us agreed (under the penetrating quizzing of our wonderful chair, Dr Cristina Johnston). We differed a little on whether we'd tone down bad language, violence or sex, but none of us would patronise our readers by 'writing down'. No didactic moral lessons, we also agreed, but maybe a moral heart: a sense that deaths have to matter; that victims be real and mourned and valued as more than plot devices or splatter-fodder (the way it is in the best adult crime fiction, I hastily add; but I for one have read adult fiction where that just ain't so).

But maybe the most important thing, we all reckoned, was a sense of hope at the end. Not a happy ending, necessarily - sometimes anything but - but there has to be at least a way out of violence and misery, a shot at redemption.

The Devil's Staircase qualifies on all counts, as far as I can see, and though it is definitely an adult novel, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a mature older teenager, albeit one with a strong stomach. Bronny's certainly young enough to be a Young Adult heroine, though the horrors that face her are very much of the grown-up world. The victim who takes centre stage in the novel is as important and vivid a character as Bronny herself, and I bit off my favourite nail worrying about her family and her fate (indeed I took to Twitter at one frenetic point to berate her author). As for the ending...

Well, no spoilers. But if you like a psycho-thriller that keeps you reading till the small hours simply because you care desperately what happens - this is one for you.

The Devil's Staircase by Helen Fitzgerald; Polygon 2010

www.gillianphilip.com
www.facebook.com/gillianphilipauthor

Bloody Scotland: Stirling 13th-15th September 2013









Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

5 comments:

Penny Dolan said...

Brilliant exposition of YA writing and review of The Devils Staircase. Must have been a great panel discussion for the festival audience.

Gillian Philip said...

Thanks Penny! The discussion was great fun (and was my first panel event!). I'm looking forward to reading one of Helen's YA books now, to compare and contrast.

Anonymous said...

I haven't read any YA crime fiction. I like the idea of it though. Time to visit the book shop, I think.

Cassie Bailey said...

Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

universalspellhelp@gmail.com

WhatsApp him +2347054380994

Unknown said...

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the future! Financing made easy with Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS

Have you been looking for financing options for your new business plans, Are you seeking for a loan to expand your existing business, Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and you don’t know which way to go or where to turn to? Have you been turned down by your banks? MRS. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS says YES when your banks say NO. Contact us as we offer financial services at a low and affordable interest rate of 2% for long and short term loans. Interested applicants should contact us for further loan acquisition procedures via profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

Services rendered include:

*Refinancing Loans
* Car Loan
*Truck Loans
* Home Loan
* Mortgage Loan
* Debt Consolidation Loan
* Farm Loan
* Business Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Personal Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Students Loan and so many others.

For more info; Contact us via Email: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

With Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS. you can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties as we are certified, trustworthy, reliable, efficient, fast and dynamic

Post a Comment