Tuesday 2 April 2013

The Lion Who Stole my Arm, by Nicola Davies. Reviewed by Saviour Pirotta

Book details:
Title: The Lion Who Stole My Arm
Author: Nicola Davies
Publisher: Walker Books
Publication Date: March 2013
Age 8+

Nicola Davies is a zoologist as well as an author and programme maker and her admiration for all creatures great and small infuses her writing.  The Lion Who Stole My Arm teems with exotic wildlife, not just the cats of the title but with all sorts of birds and mammals that inhabit the African landscape. 

This is the story of Pedru, a young boy who is set upon by a hungry lion on his way home from a fishing trip with his friends. The lion bites off his arm and Pedru swears revenge.  When another victim in the village is mauled to death, Pedru's father is chosen to track down and kill the predator.  Pedru accompanies him but the hunt does not go according to plan. Instead it brings the young hunter in contact with conservationists who look at lions from a different perspective.  The result is a collaboration between the villagers and the conservationists that leads to major  benefits for all, including the lion who stole Pedru's arm.

Davies' adventure is short and moves at a cracking pace, making it a perfect read for reluctant and fluent readers alike. The language is simple without sounding like it's been edited for the less able reader.  Pedru is a character many children can identify with and his inner journey as he struggles to come to terms with his new disability  rings true. An end note about lions and the concern about their impending extinction adds another layer of meaning to to the book.  When I finished the story, I found myself googling all the animals mentioned and reading up on them.  A winner all round! Can't wait to read the other three titles in the series, all featuring different animals under threat of extinction.

Saviour Pirotta

My blog
My website
My Facebook author page
For more book reviews and author interviews follow me on twitter @spirotta

Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

6 comments:

Penny Dolan said...

Guess the posts had to conicide one day. It is definitely "Lion and Animals" day here, both on ABBA and ABR! This book sounds a great story and accurately aimed at a wide range of readers. Thanks for highlighting this title - as well as the series, Saviour.

Saviour Pirotta said...

Lions are very in at the moment in kidlit, I think, Penny. There was a whole day devoted to them at Kings Cross St. Pancras last month, with Foyles organising a display and authors reading from their lion themed books.

Unknown said...

Thank you, Nicola for writing this amazing story that so accuratelly refelcts lion cosnervation in such an exciting way. We are so excited to use this on our conservation project for our educational programs! Colleen Begg -Niassa Carnivore Project - follow us on Facebook our project is mentioned at the back of the book Niassa Lion Project

Cassie Bailey said...

Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

universalspellhelp@gmail.com

WhatsApp him +2347054380994

Anonymous said...

Lottery is something majority of the people in the world want to win, not only winning the lottery, but they want to win big, I have been playing the lottery for couple of years now, but I haven't really win big, personally I always think there is something behind all those winners who always win big, because my intense always tell me that every thing is possible, I manage to get in contact with one of the biggest lottery winner in the UK, I asked him about the success, and he referred me to a very powerful spell caster Dr.Prince he is indeed a great man who I explained to, without no hidden details , (I really want to win the lottery so bad) he put to work and few days letter he gave me numbers that never fails , these numbers was what I played and i won £3,000000,00, 3 Million pounds, is blessed , you too can change your life too with his help, contact email: obinnaspelltemple@yahoo.com
WhatsApp him: +18488416266

Unknown said...

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the future! Financing made easy with Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS

Have you been looking for financing options for your new business plans, Are you seeking for a loan to expand your existing business, Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and you don’t know which way to go or where to turn to? Have you been turned down by your banks? MRS. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS says YES when your banks say NO. Contact us as we offer financial services at a low and affordable interest rate of 2% for long and short term loans. Interested applicants should contact us for further loan acquisition procedures via profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

Services rendered include:

*Refinancing Loans
* Car Loan
*Truck Loans
* Home Loan
* Mortgage Loan
* Debt Consolidation Loan
* Farm Loan
* Business Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Personal Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Students Loan and so many others.

For more info; Contact us via Email: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

With Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS. you can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties as we are certified, trustworthy, reliable, efficient, fast and dynamic

Post a Comment