Wednesday 28 March 2012

Mapp & Lucia by EF Benson: Gillian Philip


I love them so much I named my favourite chickens after them. They're not children's heroines - they're not especially heroic at all, except in perilous moments on upturned tables - but I believe that not just every teen but every human being should know them.

EF Benson wrote QUEEN LUCIA and MISS MAPP as separate self-contained books a couple of years apart, only bringing them together in the wake of Mrs Emmeline Lucas's widowhood and her move to Miss Mapp's hometown of Tilling (based closely on Rye, where Benson himself lived). The beauty of that move was in bringing together two characters who otherwise might have been too overpowering for their individual environments. Together, they are a collision of suns.

Mrs Lucas - Lucia - is the greatest arch-snob who ever lived: lover of Beethoven, Shakespeare and as little Italian as she can get away with. In two of Benson's six-book series - QUEEN LUCIA and LUCIA IN LONDON - she rules her charming little village of Riseholme unopposed, threatened only by the occasional rebellions of Daisy Quantock and of her own dear bachelor friend Georgie Pillson (and his crush, the wonderful visiting opera diva Olga Bracely).

Miss Mapp and Tilling, it seems, have always been waiting for her: a viciously civilised nemesis. When they come violently together in MAPP & LUCIA, the fallout is expressed in a brutal campaign of afternoon teas, bridge parties and evenings of po di musica - and the war for a particular lobster recipe a la Riseholme.

If it sounds twee and quaint, it ain't. Benson's genius was to make readers care desperately about these superficially awful characters - and I do care, over and over again. These six volumes are my comfort books, revisited more often than I care to remember and never, ever a disappointment. To use a terrible cliche, all of human life is here, despite the frozen nineteen-twenties English milieu.

The particular cleverness lies in the way Benson takes you to the limit of your sympathy - and then some - but abruptly, just as you long for the downfall of one character or another, Fate beats you to it. And miraculously, your love for whichever lady has been beastliest is restored, and you cheer them on to resurgence and new triumph.

It's impossible for me to sum up the charms of these books, but all of them lie in the characters. Despite the long-gone world of the setting, we all know a Mapp and we all know a Lucia. Please - if you don't already - get to know the fictional ones. You won't regret it. Or if you briefly do, you'll forgive them in the next five pages.

As for the chickens - my Lucia and Miss Mapp - I may even forgive them for eating the seedlings I planted just yesterday. Whatever their faults, those beastly hens are still my favourites - much like their namesakes. Au reservoir!


www.gillianphilip.com
www.facebook.com/gillianphilipauthor
Twitter: @Gillian_Philip


Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

8 comments:

adele said...

I have been meaning to read these for DECADES. Must must must read them.

Gillian Philip said...

Oh Adele, you must! I promise you'll love them!

Penny Dolan said...

You are so right to suggest there are books such as these that teenage readers would enjoy or could certainly try out - for a change from grit and dystopia. Delightful books, Gillian.

Emma Barnes said...

Coming to this rather late - but which book should I read first, Gillian? Is it better to start at the beginning, or go straight to Mapp and Lucia?

Gillian Philip said...

Oh, I'm sorry Emma! I have only just come back and seen your comment! I'd read them in order, I think - Queen Lucia first. Then you'll be longing for her comeuppance just as she gets it! x

Cassie Bailey said...

Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

universalspellhelp@gmail.com

WhatsApp him +2347054380994

Unknown said...

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the future! Financing made easy with Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS

Have you been looking for financing options for your new business plans, Are you seeking for a loan to expand your existing business, Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and you don’t know which way to go or where to turn to? Have you been turned down by your banks? MRS. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS says YES when your banks say NO. Contact us as we offer financial services at a low and affordable interest rate of 2% for long and short term loans. Interested applicants should contact us for further loan acquisition procedures via profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

Services rendered include:

*Refinancing Loans
* Car Loan
*Truck Loans
* Home Loan
* Mortgage Loan
* Debt Consolidation Loan
* Farm Loan
* Business Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Personal Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Students Loan and so many others.

For more info; Contact us via Email: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

With Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS. you can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties as we are certified, trustworthy, reliable, efficient, fast and dynamic

Alice Becker said...

HOW TO GET YOUR EX BACK WITHOUT PANIC THANKS TO GREAT Priest Odin  FOR SOLVING MY PROBLEMS WhatsApp him: +2349022363126 

How  I got  my husband back after he left me and our son for another woman. My name is Alice Becker, from the United States. My husband and I have been married for about 4 yrs now. We were happily married with a 2yrs old son. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behaviour from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly cares about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Priest Odin can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should try him out. I contacted him and told him my problems and he told me what to do and I did it and he did a spell for me. 48 hours later, my husband came to me and apologised for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. My family and I are living together happily again.. All thanks to Priest Odin. If you have any problem contact him and I guarantee you that he will help you.

Here’s his contact:
Email him @: astrologist.and.psychic.solution@gmail.com
Here is his contact.. WhatsApp him: +2349022363126 

Post a Comment