Thursday 23 August 2012

Review: "Burning Issy" - Melvin Burgess


From Pauline Chandler – www.pauline.chandler.com



“Burning Issy” – Melvin Burgess



Making friends with the witch’s child, Jennet, is dangerous for orphan girl, Issy.  This is 17thc. England, when witches were routinely tortured and burned to death, and Issy herself is mocked as someone ‘kissed by the Devil’, and bound straight for hell. She is known as ’Burning Issy’ because of the burn scars on her face and suffers a recurrent nightmare about being burnt in a fire and seeing a face in the flames. 



Kind-hearted Issy sees more than witchcraft in Jennet. She knows that her friend is half-starved, lonely and savagely bullied by her own mother, Squinting Annie and grandmother, Old Demdyke, both notorious witches.  In their innocence, neither of the girls sees much wrong with being a witch. Jennet is afraid of her grandmother,  but she looks forward to becoming a proper witch herself, because then the others will stop bullying her. The witches, who live up in Malkin Tower, scare Issy, but when the chance comes to get observe their rituals, her curiosity overcomes her fear.



The story takes a dramatic twist when the witches lay claim to Issy as ‘one of their own’ and force her to join them, by threatening her foster-brother, Ghyll.  As Issy prepares to move to Malkin Tower, a stranger arrives, someone who also lays claim to Issy’s future.   



The Pendle Witches, the deaths by burning, the brews, the chants, the familiars, the wax mannikins: all this is well-explored material. Melvyn Burgess breathes fresh life into the story, with an array of engaging characters, who inhabit a real world where, day after day, they battle disease, starvation and hardship. It’s a world we can identify with, where a lonely child might well be desperate to have a friend, any friend, even the daughter of a witch. It’s also a world of surprises. This is more than a straightforward historical adventure With his customary skill, Melvin Burgess raises some searching questions about witchcraft.   



What I especially love about this novel is the character of Issy. Without parents or history, scarred and mocked, haunted and lonely, she shows resilience, immense courage and selflessness, in her quest for a better life. Does Issy win out in the end?  I don’t think I’m spoiling any secrets to say that she does. Perhaps, though, not in the way we predict.  



An enthralling story, beautifully told, about 17thc witches, full of historical detail, accurately described, with an unpredictable ending.



Pauline Chandler

www.paulinechandler.com

August 2012  



       


Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

6 comments:

madin said...

Replica Audemars Piguet Watches, combining elegant style and cutting-edge technology, a variety of styles of Replica Audemars Piguet royal oak chronograph , the pointer walks between your exclusive taste style.

Cassie Bailey said...

Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

universalspellhelp@gmail.com

WhatsApp him +2347054380994

Mrs. McCarthy Juan said...

HELLO VIEWERS

TESTIMONY ON HOW I GOT MY LOAN €300,000.00EURO FROM A FINANCE COMPANY LAST WEEK Email for immediate response: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

Do you need a loan to start a business or pay your debts {Dr.Benjamin Scarlett Owen} can also help you with a legit loan offer. He Has also helped some other colleagues of mine with a loan finance. Get your Blank ATM card or CREDIT CARD deliver to your doorstep that works in all ATM machines all over the world with the help of BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM Machines or swipe, at stores and POS. they give out this cards to all interested clients worldwide, If you need a loan without cost/stress he his the right loan lender to wipe away your financial problems and crisis today. BENJAMIN LOAN FINANCE holds all of the information about how to obtain money quickly and painlessly via Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

THANK YOU ALL

Eva helen said...

HOW TO GET YOUR EX LOVER BACK & HOW I GOT MY EX LOVER. BACK I want to thank Dr Omokpo for saving my marriage. My husband treated me badly and left home for almost 3 month this got me sick and confused. Then I told my friend about how my husband has changed towards me. Then he told me to contact: {dromokpo@gmail.com}that he will help me bring my husband back to being a good man. That this great man helped her too.

Then I gave him a try. after 3 days of casting the spell my husband came back home and I forgive him and today we are living in joy and happiness If you are going through any relationship stress or broken marriage situation and you want your Ex lover, Ex boyfriend, Ex girlfriend or Divorced husband or wife back you reach him via: dromokpo@gmail.com

Unknown said...

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the future! Financing made easy with Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS

Have you been looking for financing options for your new business plans, Are you seeking for a loan to expand your existing business, Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and you don’t know which way to go or where to turn to? Have you been turned down by your banks? MRS. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS says YES when your banks say NO. Contact us as we offer financial services at a low and affordable interest rate of 2% for long and short term loans. Interested applicants should contact us for further loan acquisition procedures via profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

Services rendered include:

*Refinancing Loans
* Car Loan
*Truck Loans
* Home Loan
* Mortgage Loan
* Debt Consolidation Loan
* Farm Loan
* Business Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Personal Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Students Loan and so many others.

For more info; Contact us via Email: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

With Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS. you can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties as we are certified, trustworthy, reliable, efficient, fast and dynamic

Alice Becker said...

HOW TO GET YOUR EX BACK WITHOUT PANIC THANKS TO GREAT Priest Odin  FOR SOLVING MY PROBLEMS WhatsApp him: +2349022363126 

How  I got  my husband back after he left me and our son for another woman. My name is Alice Becker, from the United States. My husband and I have been married for about 4 yrs now. We were happily married with a 2yrs old son. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behaviour from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly cares about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Priest Odin can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should try him out. I contacted him and told him my problems and he told me what to do and I did it and he did a spell for me. 48 hours later, my husband came to me and apologised for the wrongs he did and promised never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. My family and I are living together happily again.. All thanks to Priest Odin. If you have any problem contact him and I guarantee you that he will help you.

Here’s his contact:
Email him @: astrologist.and.psychic.solution@gmail.com
Here is his contact.. WhatsApp him: +2349022363126 

Post a Comment