Thursday 25 July 2013

From the mixed-up files of Mrs. Basil E Frankweiler by E.L. Konigsburg reviewed by Lynda Waterhouse

A copy of this book literally fell into my hands whilst I was browsing in a bookshop. The title intrigued me and the opening sentence; Claudia knew that she could never pull off the old -fashioned kind of running away, lured me into the story. As soon as I returned home I read the novel in one sitting. I loved its quirky characters, its hilarious dialogue and surreal situation. It was first published in 1967 and in the following year it won the prestigious Newbery Medal.
Claudia Kincaid and her second youngest brother, Jamie are running away from home so they pack their pyjamas in their violin and trumpet cases and to take up residence in the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York City. They dodge the guards and decide to spend the night in the rooms of fine French and English furniture. During this adventure something happens to them,
What happened to them was: they became a team, a family of two...Becoming a team didn’t mean the end of their arguments. But it did mean that the arguments became a part of the adventure, became discussions not threats
The novel is narrated by Mrs Basil E Frankweiler who is a cranky, witty and wealthy octogenarian who finds a kindred spirit in Claudia Kincaid. It is she who has sold (she doesn't like donating) the mysterious Angel statue to the museum.
Claudia is determined to unearth the secret of the statue and prove that it is by Michelangelo because if she makes this discovery she will know how to go back home, I, Claudia Kincaid, want to be different when I go back home. Like being a heroine is different.
My edition also contained a delightful afterword instead of a forward because ‘I myself never read forewords until after I have read the book, and then I read them only if I really liked the book and want to know more.’  I read the afterword and I'm sure you will too.




Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

3 comments:

Cassie Bailey said...

Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

universalspellhelp@gmail.com

WhatsApp him +2347054380994

Tamara Barrow said...

There is a great herbal man called Dr voodoo who can cure Hepatitis B virus and other deadly diseases with the use of natural herbs to cure Hepatitis B virus problems. He is from Africa and he is a great doctor and he can also cure you as well if you are have the problem And other deadly disease and here is email address voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com or Whatsapp +2348140120719 HERPES CURE,CANCER CURE,HIV/AIDS CURE,HPV CURE

Crystal Berry said...

I really like your blog post about "undefined" because it was an interesting topic. Your blog post was also well-written and you did a good job of explaining what you were talking about. First Mortgage

Post a Comment