Sunday 3 June 2012

'Animal Magic' by Liz Brownlee reviewed by Elen Caldecott

I am not a regular contributor to the reviews section, but when I read this book I wanted to shove it in the hands of complete strangers; so I could hardly let the chance to shove it in front of ABBA readers slip by!
I have known about Liz's work for a while as she studied alongside me on our MA, and her work has appeared in many anthologies and magazines (and on the walls of Bristol Zoo!). This is her first book of collected poems.

And what a thing of beauty it is.

The cover illustration by Rose Sanderson is of two red-crowned cranes dancing. It is elegant and graceful, as this collection is. To give it its full title Animal Magic: Poems on a disappearing world, it is both a collection of poetry and a work of non-fiction.

The structure of the collection is brilliant: each animal is given a double spread; on the left spread there is the animal's scientific name and an illuminating non-fiction entry which includes lifestyle facts, range and threats to its survival; on the right hand side are Liz's precise, delightful poems. Many animals are also illustrated (again by Rose Sanderson). Incidentally, Liz acknowledges the help of a huge array of species experts in her references - no wikipedia research here!

The best way for me to convey how wonderfully this structure works, is to show you.

The first spread (above) introduces Pongo pygmaeus and Pongo abelii, Bornean and Sumatran orangutans. We're told that many young orangutans suffer bone fractures as they learn to climb. They can grow to between 50-90kg and spend most of their life up in trees. They are critically endangered as 80% of their habitat has been destroyed in the last 20 years. Then, we have an illustration and a poem:

'A heavy bulk and tum like mine,
in shades of hairy clementine,
means when I'm up my forest tree,
I live my whole life - gingerly!'

The facts and poem dovetail pleasingly; but more than this there is the painful, factual set-up and then the glorious celebration. Throughout this collection, it is the celebration that matters: these animals are endangered, but they are still here, they still exist and they should be marvelled over. And protected.
Rose Sanderson's accompanying illustrations are charming, without being sickly sweet.

The poems themselves have a clean simplicity and conversational tone, while still being able to surprise. Many of them are funny, but others are very moving. Snow leopard, for example, catches a frozen moment in time that may not be with us much longer.

The design of this book may put off younger readers. As noted, it is very elegant and not the usual bold primary colours used for children's poetry. This design makes it more likely that the collection will find crossover appeal (which it deserves), but you might have to start a younger reader off by reading some of it aloud with them.

Have I shoved it into your hand enough? I do hope so. It's a wonderful collection and it deserves to find a keen audience.

Animal Magic by Liz Brownlee is published by Iron Press. ISBN: 9780956572530, RRP £10

Elen Caldecott's latest book isThe Mystery of Wickworth Manor published by Bloomsbury 5th July 2012

Return to REVIEWS HOMEPAGE

6 comments:

Julia Green said...

I absolutely agree - this is an exquisite collection, beautifully crafted, clever and funny and touching, for readers of all ages. I recommend it highly.
Julia

Rosalie Warren said...

I agree too. A wonderful book.

Penny Dolan said...

Like the sound of that "fact with poem" double page spread and feel very pleased to see a poetry book here, especially one as intriguing as this.

Sue Purkiss said...

This sounds wonderful. One for my son and grandson, I think. Thanks, Elen.

Cassie Bailey said...

Hello I'm so happy sharing this, I still can’t thank you enough powerful Priest Elijah, My husband left for a younger lady because i was unable to give birth due to PCOS,I was so devastated i was lonely i cried a lot i even tried taking my life, Then my friend told me about this great man Priest Elijah who helped her made her marriage perfect, I also went online and did more research about him i was not too sure but i decided to give him a try he told me not to worry everything was going to be alright, He told me all i needed to pay which was a convenient fee and i did and he did his work and sent me video proof and told me to wait 24hrs that he will be back, The next morning to my greatest surprise it was Shawn my husband on his knees begging I'm so happy, It didn’t stop there, I'm proud to say that I'm 3 weeks pregnant thank you so much Priest Elijah I'm forever grateful contact him

universalspellhelp@gmail.com

WhatsApp him +2347054380994

Unknown said...

Hello Everyone,

Welcome to the future! Financing made easy with Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS

Have you been looking for financing options for your new business plans, Are you seeking for a loan to expand your existing business, Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and you don’t know which way to go or where to turn to? Have you been turned down by your banks? MRS. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS says YES when your banks say NO. Contact us as we offer financial services at a low and affordable interest rate of 2% for long and short term loans. Interested applicants should contact us for further loan acquisition procedures via profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

Services rendered include:

*Refinancing Loans
* Car Loan
*Truck Loans
* Home Loan
* Mortgage Loan
* Debt Consolidation Loan
* Farm Loan
* Business Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Personal Loan [secure and unsecured]
* Students Loan and so many others.

For more info; Contact us via Email: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

With Prof. Mrs. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS. you can say goodbye to all your financial crisis and difficulties as we are certified, trustworthy, reliable, efficient, fast and dynamic

Post a Comment